My coworker’s daughter is having a baby in February. When I asked about the nursery theme I was told it would be sea theme. Perfect I thought. There is some fish fabric in the stash. Time to make a baby quilt!
Off to Google and Pinterest I went to get ideas. I had made this fish quilt in the past but I didn’t feel like making it again:I spent more time than I want to admit looking at pictures, blogs and even some videos. I eventually chose a block called Fish Crackers. Naturally I wanted a different size block than their pattern called for. I decided on a 6″ finished block so I scaled down the measurements. The math got a bit silly, and I was feeling lazy, so I simplified and made and my pieces were (unfinished) 3.5″, 2.5″ and 2″ respectively.
Fail! Total fail. The fishy fabric blocks did not play nicely at all with the other blocks. Still I liked the blocks – just those with the fish fabric had to go. I made a few more blocks and came up with this layout which I liked much more:
Much better! Now how to incorporate my inspiration fabic into the quilt. I thought maybe in the setting triangles but a friend talked me out of that and to use white as the setting triangles. She suggested the fish fabric as the outer border.
And here is the final result!
Even with all the ups downs and change in plans I’m very happy with this quilt. Perfect for a sea themed nursery, gender neutral and still relatively traditional.
Oh and the fish fabric is actually dolphins. I realised that part way through sewing the initial blocks. Still I thought of it as the “fish fabric” throughout the making of the quilt.