I of course made some changes to the original pattern from the Wedding Dress Blue blog. I changed the size of the small squares from 2.5″ to 2 inches just because I’m insane and because I already had a whole bunch of that size square already cut out and ready to piece. Also instead of making the “dark” squares in the sashing scrappy I decided to make them all black. I love black and white.
The quilt started off as a baby quilt and looked like this laid out:
To make a queen sized quilt I quickly realized that I’d need 49 of the 25 patch squares. I enjoyed making them even though that was a lot of sewing. I cut out most of the sashing at home and made it when I went to my first quilting retreat this April. I was very focused on this and in two days got the quilt to this stage:
The next day I got the quilt to a flimsy stage. I’m very pleased with how it looks!
I love the contrast between the black and white sashing and the scrappy centres. While I’m partially dreading quilting this on my sewing machine I’m also very much looking forward to seeing it achieve quilt status and it’s home on my bed!