I was looking at the entries in a linky party on Friday and I saw a picture of the Fresh Diamond quilt in several colourways on the Samelia’s Mum blog. I had seen the quilt before but here Anorina showed it mocked up on EQ8 with some dark fabric as the background. It immediately caught my eye and I spent my workday thinking about making it. I’ve wanted to do a triangle quilt for someone and why not now as a long weekend project? Immediately, I thought of making it with a dark background and scrappy brights. I knew had squares already cut from other projects and enough yardage of a charcoal grey background to make this work.
So after work I confirmed that while I had quite a few squares already cut I didn’t have enough solids/tone on tones to make this work without cutting more. Then I we went back and read the pattern. My squares are the wrong size by 1/2 an inch but so long as I don’t mind a quilt a slightly different size than hers, that was no reason start cutting from scratch. So my quilt would be a bit smaller. No big deal I can always add a column or row or just have a quilt that’s slightly smaller.
I started cutting the background and the extra squares I needed and before I knew it I was sewing them together.
Sewing the was fun, the trimming afterwards not so much but it went relatively fast
Time to start laying them out.
I was working on this layout with Marc and he was going on about how I always do random scrappy. He said why didn’t I do something different this time. So I changed the placement of the colours and came up with this layout
We both liked this layout better than the first one. I have to say laying out the blocks did take some time. It took me a while to grasp in terms of the orientation of the half square triangles.
So I started sewing blocks together, then rows etc. I have to admit Jack came out to play once or twice when I rotated a piece or two by accident. Sadly though it was Jack the Ripper and not Jack Daniels that came out. A good thing though as I wouldn’t have kept anything straight with even a drop of alcohol in my system.
I ended up adding a few rows to the original pattern.
To finish it off I added a border the width of my blocks. Marc suggested I carefully thumbtack the quilt to our fence for pictures!
I’m calling this my Diamond Brights quilt top. I’m now deciding whether to try quilting it at home or waiting until the quilting studio where go reopens. I have to check the stash but if I recall correctly, I have something that wil coordinate nicely to use for backing.
I’d say my biggest question is what to do next, but for the state my sewing room is now in. Cleaning up and putting away fabric is next on the agenda.