This quilt really highlights a focus fabric nicely. And in my case, helps use up some fabrics I found at a local thrift shop in a way that looks nicely coordinated.
wasting time looking for inspiration on Pinterest a while ago and saw a picture of this quilt which I liked enough to pin to one of my boards. So, while going through Pinterest boards today to get some ideas for a quilt I came across the Pin and thought that it looked like an easy enough project and decided to make it.
Here it is before any borders have been added:
I really like how it turned out.
However, I had to do some work to create this as the Pin had no links to a pattern and a reverse image search didn’t help me find one either.
The centre blocks are 6.5″ square unfinished, the corner blocks are cut at 3.5″ square unfinished and the narrow strips are cut at 2″x6.5″ unfinished.
For 12 blocks
- cut 2 strips of focus fabric (A) at 6.5″ wide and WOF and cross cut into 6.5″ squares for a total of 12 squares (you’ll need more fabric if you fussy cut)
- cut 8 – 2″ strips x WOF of each of the two non focus fabrics B & C
- Cut 3 – 3.5″ strips x WOF of each of two non focus fabrics B & C, cut 24 3.5″ squares of each of fabric B & C
Sew being careful of your seams (mine could have been a bit more precise) a B & C 2″ strip together, and iron to the darker fabric, do this 8 times, sub cut into 48, 6.5″ x 3.5″ rectangles.
Choose which of B or C will be in the top left hand corner of the square. Referring to the block above lay out your blocks and sew together.
It goes together fast. I did have some issue with nesting seams but I’m not quite sure how I would have avoided it other than changing the construction completely.
Tomorrow’s challenge is figuring out borders for this. I’m not sure I have enough red for an inner border, but I do have enough of the pale yellow for one so I may be using that followed by the floral. I have enough floral for a reasonable outer border.