These were fun to make! And a learning experience.
On the stripey mug rug I sewed the binding on the back first and then brought it around to the front. I’m not sure purists would be proud but I used Elmers School Glue to hold the binding down flat on the front. A quick press on the binding with an iron and the glue dried quickly and firmly, and yet it was fine to sew on. Glad I listened when I heard about that trick from a fellow sewist on a quilting group.
On the “initial” mug rug I tried applique for the first time and stippling. I’m pleased with the job I did. I did the same thing for the binding as with the stripey mug rug. So much quicker than hand sewing. Not as elegant by any stretch of the imagination but perfect for items that are going to sit under coffee cups or a can of diet coke.