I’m in the process of making the Gathered Star Quilt. I’m really happy how it is turning out.
This quilt is based on a block by Judith Martin called Star Cluster Quilt Block
Mine looks like that block, however the block size and construction are different.
The star block is 32″, and I constructed this using half square triangles and squares.
The small blocks are 4″ finished or 4.5″ unfinished, and the four large coloured blocks are 8″ finished or 8.5″ unfinished.
- 6 yellow and white half square triangle blocks, 4.5″
- 6 red and white half square triangle blocks, 4.5″
- 6 blue and white half square triangle blocks, 4.5″
- 6 green and white half square triangle blocks, 4.5″
- 1 green and blue half square triangle block 4.5″
- 1 green and red half square triangle block 4.5″
- 1 red and yellow half square triangle block 4.5″
- 1 yellow and blue half square triangle block 4.5″
- 20 4.5″ square white blocks.
For the borders
- 2, 32.5″ white strips
- 2, 36.5″ white strips
- 6 strips of 2.5″ x 6.5″ of each colour in the quilt (red, blue, green and yellow)
- 1 of each colour (red, blue, green and yellow), 2.5″ inch square
They were laid out as follows:
And I then sewed them together one quadrant at a time.
The quilt right now is 32″ square.
Sew the 32.5″ white strips on to the opposite sides of the quilt, press, then sew on the 36.5″ strips on the remaining two sides.
For the outer border lay out the 2″5 x 6.5″ strips,and 2.5″ squares as follows:
The finished quilt top should be 40″ square and look like this:
6 thoughts on “Gathered Star Quilt – Construction notes”
I love the bright colours! And what a great idea for the border. Great work!
Thank you Bonnie, I’m really happy how it turned out.
This is so pretty! Thanks for the mini tutorial on putting it together – much easier than it looks! Thank you for sharing this on Midweek Makers!
Thank you so much for sending the pattern. I will try it soon.
I like how those stars nestle together, and that border is so delicious! The colors are wonderful. Thanks for sharing your quilt on Main Crush Monday!
I like the way the stars all fit together – your quit is very nice indeed.